Lebanon stops ship bound with weapons for Syrian rebels


Al Jazeerah

The Lebanese navy has reportedly intercepted a ship loaded with three containers of weapons destined for Syrian opposition forces.

The cargo vessel, which originated from Libya, was found on Saturday containing heavy machine guns, artillery shells, rockets, rocket launchers and other explosives, a security official said.

Another security official said the Sierre Leone-flagged Lutfallah II, was bound for members of the Free Syrian Army, an umbrella group of fighters trying to overthrow the government of Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president.   The ship’s officers had previously obtained a permit to enter the port of Tripoli in northern Lebanon before being stopped by the navy on Thursday night.

The ship was towed to Selaata, a small port some 50km north of Beirut, Lebanon’s capital, on Saturday. Three army trucks had reportedly left Selaata for Beirut with the seized cache of weapons, escorted by eight jeeps and a helicopter.

The security source said that the captain and crew were handed over to military intelligence officers in Tripoli for further questioning.

Syrian authorities have repeatedly charged that weapons are being smuggled from Lebanon to rebels fighting to overthrow Assad.   Norwegian peacekeeper   Also on Saturday, a veteran Norwegian peacekeeper was on his way to Damascus to take charge of a UN mission overseeing the country’s shaky ceasefire.  

Major-General Robert Mood was already to the Syrian capital when Ban Ki-moon, UN secretary-general, publicly announced his appointment, diplomats said.   He takes over a mission that faces major obstacles and doubts before the full 300-member force approved by the UN Security Council has even gathered.  

Mood himself has highlighted the “abyss of suspicion” between Assad and the opposition. The uprising against Assad’s rule has killed more than 9,000 people since March last year, according to UN figures.

A suicide bomber killed nine people and injured dozens of others in Damascus on Friday, according to state media.   The SANA news agency said the victims of the blast in al-Midan district included civilians and law-enforcement personnel.   Opposition activists said the explosion struck opposite the Zain al-Abideen mosque, which was under heavy security for Friday prayers, and where regular protests against Assad erupt.   Syrian TV aired footage of white smoke billowing from under a bridge as people streamed out of a mosque. The streets were stained with blood. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.   Syria deaths

The Local Co-ordination Committees (LCC), an opposition activist network, reported the deaths of 18 people, including three children, on Friday amid anti-government protests across the country.  

The group said five of those killed were in Homs, three in Idlib, two in Aleppo, two in Deir Ezzor, two in Damascus, two in the Damascus Suburbs, one in Deraa and one in Hama.  

“The figure does not include the victims of the terrorist bombing carried out by the regime in Damascus’ Midan,” it said in a statement.  

As violence continued across the country despite the peace deal, the EU said that it was “extremely concerned” about the persistent bloodshed.  

It called on Syria to end its “violations” of the ceasefire, which was negotiated by Kofi Annan, the former UN chief.  

“I am extremely concerned about the continued violence in Syria in violation of the ceasefire which should have come into effect on 12 April and despite the presence on the ground of UN observers,” Catherine Ashton, EU foreign policy chief, said on Friday.  

Ashton said it was “clear that the Syrian government is not fulfilling its obligations and is failing to meet its commitments to withdraw its troops and heavy weapons from population centres”.  

 She said the Syrian government “must ensure that the ceasefire holds”.

  1. #1 by Isaac on April 28, 2012 - 2:31 pm

    The parasites want Syria to comply with the resolutions. As long as the so called “rebels” continue to get military aid from otside intervention the conflict will never stop.

  2. #2 by Mad Angel on FB on April 28, 2012 - 3:02 pm

    THIS is SO MUCH CRAP!………What is the Syrian government supposed to do – let their country be over run???
    When the ‘truce’ started and was holding Hillary Clinton said “IT DOESN’T MATTER…ASAAD WILL HAVE TO STEP ASIDE”

    This is about regime change not humanitarian ‘concerns’ !

    Mad Angel on FB

  3. #3 by Ponders70 on April 28, 2012 - 4:09 pm

    Would somebody please shut that
    sick bi$$h Ashton up. She is a traitor
    and asick warmonger. Put her on the front
    with a rifle. See just how much prepared
    for war she is.

  4. #4 by SazzyLilSmartAzz on April 28, 2012 - 7:38 pm

    Catherine Ashton is part of the problem and sponsors the CIA/Mossad “rebels.”

  5. #5 by woofie on April 29, 2012 - 2:12 am

    Lots of shotguns…From Libya, huh. CIA no doubt.

  6. #6 by Ingrid B on April 29, 2012 - 8:05 am

    The weapons were probably used in Libya, and are now being shipped to Syria.. I imagine it is Hezbollah, who are “on the ball”.. and yes, Ashton, teflon Tony Blair`s successor, and just as rabid..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,589 other followers

%d bloggers like this: